Cutesmile Dental Education
Why is it so important to brush your Teeth?
Healthy habits, including brushing and flossing, can prevent tooth decay (cavities) and gum disease. Tooth decay and gum disease can lead to pain and tooth loss.
You can prevent most problems with teeth and gums by taking these steps:
- Brush your teeth 2 times a day with toothpaste.
- Floss between your teeth every day.
- Visit a dentist regularly for a checkup and cleaning.
- Cut down on sugary foods and drinks.
- Don’t smoke or chew tobacco.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
What causes tooth decay and gum disease?
An semi-hardened accumulation of substances from fluids that bathe an area. Examples include dental plaque and cholesterol plaque. Minerals form dental plaque around the teeth as a result of bacterial action on food particles. … When allowed to remain, plaque hardens and is called tartar or calculus.
When plaque stays on your teeth too long, it can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Brushing and flossing help get plaque off your teeth so your mouth can stay healthy.
Taking care of your teeth and gums is especially important if you:
Are an older adult